Christchurch Attacks: Body of Pakistani victim to arrive in Karachi on Monday


WELLINGTON/ISLAMABAD (DNA) – The body of a Pakistani man who embraced martyrdom in Christchurch terrorist attack in New Zealand will be brought to homeland on Monday.Pakistan’s High Commissioner to New Zealand has handed over the remains of Pakistani man Areeb Ahmed to the international airline.The plane will land at the Jinnah International Airport on Monday.His funeral prayer will be performed in Dastagir No 9 area and he would be buried in Karachi the same day.

Ahmed had recently moved to Christchurch to work as a chartered accountant on secondment at PriceWaterhouseCooper. He was an only son. One of his uncles, Muhammad Muzaffar Khan, described him as deeply religious, praying five times a day.

Nine Pakistanis martyred in terror attacks

On March 17, Foreign Office (FO) Spokesperson Dr Mohammad Faisal said that nine Pakistanis were pronounced dead by New Zealand s authorities in Friday s terror attack on two mosques in the New Zealand city of Christchurch.

Dr Faisal said Sohail Shahid, Syed Jahandad Ali, Syed Areeb Ahmed, Mahboob Haroon, Naeem Rashid and his son Talha Naeem, Mr Zeeshan Raza, Mr Ghulam Hussain, Ms Karam have been announced dead by the authorities.

“Our Mission and family members of the missing persons, currently in Christchurch, are assisting in this process,” he said.

A right-wing extremist who filmed himself on a shooting rampage flashed a white power gesture as he appeared in a Christchurch court on Saturday and was charged with murder.

Australian-born 28-year-old Brenton Tarrant stood in the dock wearing handcuffs and a white prison smock, as the judge read a single murder charge against him. A raft of further charges is expected.

The former fitness instructor and self-professed fascist occasionally turned to look at media present in court during the brief hearing that the public were excluded from for security reasons.

Flanked by armed police he made an upside-down “okay” signal, a symbol used by white power groups across the globe. He did not request bail and was taken into custody until his next court appearance which is scheduled for April 5.

A short distance from the court, 39 people were being treated in hospital for gunshot wounds and other injuries inflicted in the massacre.

The wounded included a two-year-old boy and a four-year-old girl, who was in critical condition.

NZ mosque shootings

On March 15, a gunman opened fire inside the Masjid al Noor mosque during afternoon prayers, causing multiple fatalities.

New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said the deadly mosque shootings in Christchurch had plunged the country into one of its “darkest days”.

“Clearly, what has happened here is an extraordinary and unprecedented act of violence,” Ardern said in an address to a shocked nation.

“Many of those who will have been directly affected by this shooting may be migrants to New Zealand, they may even be refugees here,” Ardern said.

“They have chosen to make New Zealand their home, and it is their home. They are us. The person who has perpetuated this violence against us is not.” “They should have been in a safe environment,” she said.