Altaf condemns arrest of MQM’s ex-MPA


KARACHI: Muttahida Qaumi Movement chief Altaf Hussain on Wednesday condemned the arrest of Nadeem Hidayat Hashmi, a former provincial legislator belonging to the party, DNA reported.
In a statement issued from the MQM’s London secretariat, Altaf asked the Sindh government to explain the reasons and clauses of the law under which the former Member of Provincial Assembly was taken into custody by law enforcers.

The MQM chief further said that he had always advised his party workers to remain calm and patient and appealed for the same today.

Altaf also claimed that the Sindh government was conducting one-sided action against the MQM office bearers.

An emergency session of the MQM’s Rabita (coordination) committee was under way at its London and Karachi headquarters to decide the further course of action to be taken over the arrest of party members.

Nadeem Hashmi was arrested late on Tuesday over suspected involvement in the murders of two policemen in Karachi’s North Nazimabad area and was subsequently shifted to the Pirabad police station.

Sindh Assembly’s deputy opposition leader belonging to the MQM, Khwaja Izharul Hasan, along with several other party members reached the Pirabad police station to inquire about the details regarding the arrest of their colleague.

Hasan alleged that insted of targeting criminal elements, the operation was being conducted against the MQM and requested Chief Justice of pakistan Justice Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry and Federal Interior Minister Chaudhry Nisar Ali Khan to take notice of the incident.

He further said that though his party was not against any targeted operation but they were being punished for demanding thehanding over of Karachi’s administration to the Army.

Tension engulfed the city as markets, businesses, shops and fuel stations began shutting down after the arrest of the former lawmaker was reported on various news channels.

The All Private School Management Association (APSMA) announced a closure of all private schools in Karachi and students were returned to their homes.